Horses and bourbon. It’s hard to imagine a more compatible match. They age together in Kentucky—the former on farms and the latter in barrels—and then, each June, meet right here on Long Island at the Belmont Stakes.
What better way to welcome them back than by watching the races while sipping the official bourbon of the Stakes? Whether you’re heading to Elmont to watch the races in person, or staying home to host your own horse-and-bourbon bash, these Woodford Reserve cocktails are all you’ll need to enjoy the historic action this Saturday. Just don’t forget to bring your own hat.
Here are four Woodford Reserve cocktail recipes to help you and your horses around the track.
1. Woodford Reserve Belmont Jewel
- 1.5 ounces Woodford Reserve
- 2 ounces Lemonade
- 1 ounce Pomegranate Juice
- Orange Zest
- Shake vigorously with ice and serve in a rocks glass with ice. Garnish with lemon twist
2. Woodford Reserve Rye Manhattan
- 1.5 ounces of Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye
- .75 ounces Sweet Vermouth
- 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 1 Cherry
- In a mixing glass add ingredients over ice and stir. Strain into cup over fresh ice and garnish with a cherry.
3. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Old Fashioned
- 1.5 ounces of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Old Fashioned
- 1/4 ounces Damera Syrup
- 2 dashes of Chocolate Bitters
- 1 Cherry (Note: This should be a cocktail cherry. Specifically an Italian Amarena black cherry.)
- 1 Grapefruit Twist (Substitute with orange twist if grapefruit not available.)
- Add ingredients into the cup, add ice and stir. Garnish with grapefruit or orange twist and a cherry.
4. Woodford Reserve Belmont Smash
- 1.5 ounces of Woodford Reserve
- .75 ounces Lemon Juice
- .75 ounces Simple Syrup
- 3 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 4-5 Mint Sprigs
- Tear mint and add into mixing tin. Add ingredients into that mixing tin over ice and shake. Strain into cup over ice. Garnish with mint sprig.