Slow Food East End elects board members in the fall. If you are interested in becoming a leader — or nominating someone — please read on. Strengthen our Slow Food chapter and the food movement through your active participation.
Slow Food offers the means to be part of the vibrant food community. Become more active in Slow Food East End to connect, learn, engage and support our mission of good, clean, and fair food for all.
Board members (or “leaders” as board members are called) serve two-year terms. Currently our board is made up of 12 leaders and one guest leader. For the upcoming elections, there are seven open seats.
If you wish to nominate yourself to be a leader, fill out this form. Deadline is Tuesday, September 8, 2015.
If you would like to nominate someone else to be a leader, fill out this form. Deadline is Monday, August 31, 2015.
Remember! Leaders and voters must be members. Join here.
Small print below:
When making a nomination, please understand that we are looking for people who have the time, ability, and willingness to actively participate as leaders. Becoming a Slow Food Leader involves a commitment to chair one of our standing committees or assume other key responsibilities within the chapter as needed. If you nominate someone other than yourself as a leader, we suggest you talk with your nominee about their interest and this commitment. According to our bylaws, “All Chapter Board members will try to live the ‘Slow Food lifestyle’ by example.”
The nominating committee is looking for individuals who understand the Slow Food East End mission and have shown a commitment to it by having worked on a Slow Food committee, volunteered, and/or attended Slow Food events.
How the Nominating Process Works:
1. All board member (“leader”) application forms must be received by Tuesday, September 8, 2015. If you are nominating someone other than yourself, please complete the Nominating Form by Monday, August 31, 2015. so there is time for your nominee to complete the Application Form. We will contact your nominee once you have provided their contact information.
2. Nominations will be reviewed by the nominating committee who will make the final selection of candidates. Candidates will be announced and introduced at the annual meeting on September 27. All current members of the East End Chapter as of September 27, 2015, will receive an email ballot immediately following the annual meeting.
3. Voting will take place electronically September 28 – October 12. Election results will be announced following the October 12 voting deadline. The seven candidates who receive the highest number of votes will be elected as Slow Food East End Leaders for two year terms beginning January 1, 2016.
4. Leaders Must Be Members!
5. If you or the person you are nominating is not a current member of Slow Food USA, the nominee will be expected to join Slow Food USA prior to his/her name appearing on the electronic ballot. You can become a member of Slow Food USA for a donation of $60 per year for an individual membership or $100 per year for a couple or family. When joining, be sure to specify NY-East End (Long Island) as your chapter. Click here to join.
6. Only current members of Slow Food USA who have designated Slow Food East End as their chapter will be eligible to vote, although anyone may submit a nomination.
How to check your membership status: Please send an email to Anne Howard, Membership Chair, at email@example.com if you have questions about your membership. You can renew or join at www.slowfoodeastend.org.
If you prefer, you may make a nomination by email by completing the appropriate form and sending to Jeri Woodhouse, Nominating Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you at the Annual Meeting. Thank you!
Your East End Chapter Leaders
Judiann Carmack-Fayyaz, Chair
Bryan Futerman, Vice-Chair
Anne Howard, Membership Chair & Newsletter Editor
M. Pierre Friedrichs, Treasurer
Joan Turturro, Secretary
Jeannie Calderale, Kim Folks, Megan Schmidt, Linda Slezak, Cheryl Stair, Ivo Tomasini, Jeri Woodhouse;
Al Goldberg, Guest Leader
Ex Officio: Ted Conklin, Founding Leader; Kate Plumb, Past Chair; Mary Morgan, Past Chair; Michael Denslow, Brian Halweil, Emily Herrick, Tom Morgan, Chef John Ross, Ursula Massoud, Tullia Limarzi
Want to get more involved?
Slow Food East End is a volunteer-run chapter that is part of the international Slow Food movement. If you are interested in volunteering to help make our local programs and activities possible, please contact: Volunteers@slowfoodeastend.org.