It was a garlicky weekend at Garden of Eve organic farm. There were at least, a dozen different varieties of the stinking rose for sale. There was garlic ice cream, crafts, activities for kids. Phil Barbato of Biophila farm was also there with his organic garlic is many varieties. And the whole thing ended with a bang of thunder and a downpour on Sunday evening. But that’s not all. There was a garlic eating contest with 10 entrants. And Edward Todd Owens ate 32 cloves in three minutes. Here are the rules (contestants also signed a waiver; see text below):
- Contestants must peel garlic each garlic clove by hand, chew, and finish each garlic clove before starting to eat the next clove.
- Contestants may use hands.
- Contestants may peel the next garlic clove while chewing.
- Spitting anything out is an automatic disqualification.
- When three minutes is up an announcement will be made.
- Any clove of garlic being chewed when time is up will count toward the overall garlic total, as long as the garlic is eventually chewed and swallowed.
- Winner will be determined by whoever has finished the most garlic cloves within the allotted time.
- The judges will determine the winner of the contest and the judges’ decisions are final.