It was a garlicky weekend at Garden of Eve organic farm. There were at least, a dozen different varieties of the stinking rose for sale. There was garlic ice cream, crafts, activities for kids. Phil Barbato of Biophila farm was also there with his organic garlic is many varieties. And the whole thing ended with a bang of thunder and a downpour on Sunday evening. But that’s not all. There was a garlic eating contest with 10 entrants. And Edward Todd Owens ate 32 cloves in three minutes. Here are the rules (contestants also signed a waiver; see text below):
- Contestants must peel garlic each garlic clove by hand, chew, and finish each garlic clove before starting to eat the next clove.
- Contestants may use hands.
- Contestants may peel the next garlic clove while chewing.
- Spitting anything out is an automatic disqualification.
- When three minutes is up an announcement will be made.
- Any clove of garlic being chewed when time is up will count toward the overall garlic total, as long as the garlic is eventually chewed and swallowed.
- Winner will be determined by whoever has finished the most garlic cloves within the allotted time.
- The judges will determine the winner of the contest and the judges’ decisions are final.
They were also allowed to have a glass of water. So get ready for next year garlic lovers. Owens is the man to beat to win $50 in cash from Garden of Eve Organic
Waiver I understand that eating large amounts of garlic is potentially hazardous and is an uncomfortable activity. I should not enter and eat unless I am medically capable. I realize that this is in good fun and possibly bad taste, but I agree to be a good sport. I agree to abide by any decision of the contest officials and all of the contest rules. I assume all risks associated with eating in this type of event including but not limited to: indigestion, that stuffed feeling, contact with other contestants, a burning sensation in my mouth and throat, and getting very stinky and possibly not being kissed for possibly 48 hours afterward, and all such risks being known and appreciated by me. Having read this waiver and knowing these facts and in consideration of you accepting my entry, I, for myself and anyone entitled to act on my behalf, waive and release The Long Island Garlic Festival, Garden of Eve Organic Farm, their representatives, sponsors, and their successors from all claims of liabilities of any kind arising out of my participation in this event.